Halloween is a great time to dress up and have fun with costumes. In our Catholic education community, we want to promote respect, inclusion and empathy for all individuals. As you select a Halloween costume, we encourage you to reflect about becoming critical thinkers and social justice champions in all aspects of your lives.
The following are suggested questions to reflect on when choosing a costume to avoid being disrespectful or offensive:
- Is my costume making fun of a group of people, their culture or religion?
- Does my costume reinforce jokes and stereotypes about certain groups, cultures or religions?
- Am I altering my skin color, facial/body features to make it darker or like a particular race, ethnicity, or cultural group?
- Am I dressing up as a culture or borrowing from a religion that is not my own or is not part of my background?
- Do I understand and respect the history or tradition of the culture that I am borrowing my costume from?